There are many advantages to installing CCTV systems on a commercial premises; especially now as September draws to a close.
You might be a facilities manager for a commercial premises. In charge of procurement contracts for industrial buildings. Or you might even be responsible for the security and maintenance of a heritage property.
Whatever your role, we at EESI are used to dealing with clients with a wide range of security requirements. If security is your responsibility, read on to find out why CCTV can benefit your business, which CCTV systems to choose, and getting them installed.
Why is now a good time to get CCTV installed?
The workplace is quieter than ever
We have all seen big changes in and around the workplace since the pandemic first hit, with around 60% of the UK population having worked from home during lockdown. But we, as a whole, seem to have changed our long-term approach to where we work.
One report suggests that around 26% of UK workers will continue to work from home now that things have returned to ‘normal’. This means that places of work are much quieter than they used to be, which can be problematic when it comes to security.
The need for surveillance when fewer people are about is widely reported on. Publications such as IFSEC Global and Journalism.co.uk discuss how people working from home means that there’s a lesser chance of crimes, such as burglaries, getting spotted and being reported to the police.
Employees need to feel safe
Many businesses have faced struggles since the pandemic, and are discovering how to best to look after their staff and their premises through implementing cost-effective measures.
Psychologically, us humans rely on the presence of other humans in order to feel safe, and things like locking up a building or walking to the carpark could be daunting experiences with fewer people about.
Although CCTV systems can’t replace human beings (and we wouldn’t want them to!), they do help make people feel safer in the workplace. Especially when its quiet or if there’s no daylight.
What are the benefits of installing CCTV systems for a business premises?
Having outlined a couple of reasons as to why you should start the process of getting your CCTV systems in place soon, let’s take a look at some further benefits:
- CCTV is a crime deterrent.
- You can monitor activities in real time.
- CCTV makes employees feel safer.
- CCTV can reduce security costs.
- Your CCTV system can provide evidence in the case of any disputes or crimes.
What does CCTV installation involve?
The complexity of CCTV installations vary, as some cameras are cable-free, and others will need hard-wiring.
Our expert team at EESI will initially talk to you about:
- The main reasons for you wanting CCTV.
- The nature/layout of the building or premises.
- Any unique details relevant to your business.
Once you have spoken to us, we will then visit you on site, helping us to establish:
- Specific places/spots of interest to you.
- Areas that might pose vulnerabilities to both security and employees.
- Where to best position the cameras.
What are the laws surrounding CCTV in places of employment?
All businesses are allowed to use CCTV if they adhere to these three core pieces of legislation:
- The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012
- The Surveillance Camera Code of Practice 2013 (SCCOP)
- The Data Protection Act (DPA) 2018
If you are going to install CCTV cameras in the workplace, it is essential that your business researches and upholds the responsibilities that go with it, which include:
- Ensuring signage is in place, clearly stating that CCTV is in operation and why.
- Being obligated to provide images/video content to anyone you’ve recorded should they request it – within a 30-day timeframe.
- Sharing your footage or captured images with authorities such as the police, if requested.
- Retaining any recorded materials for only as long as the business needs to keep them for.
- Paying an annual data protection fee to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). Please visit their site for details.
Make an enquiry about CCTV Installation
If you manage a commercial premises that would benefit from having a CCTV system installed, then we at EESI are on hand to advise you on what your options are.
Just call our friendly team on 01453 821550 or email: email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you!